Saturday, February 11, 2012

Kids These Days

I saw a few of my Facebook friends had posted this video and though at first was appalled by the 8+ minute length, was extremely grateful at the end that I sat through the video (more on that later). If you have not seen the video of the Dad Uses Facebook to Teach Daughter A Lesson I've linked it for your viewing pleasure.

Now let me first state that I am a 26 year old, married female with no children. I am not currently pregnant, not looking to try to get pregnant any time soon, and still am terrified of getting pregnant as all I can imagine is the scene from Alien when the baby alien spawn pops out of Kane's stomach. Hopefully one day I'll get over this fear, but I'm pretty sure my biological clock is broken.

With that being said, I have had the opportunity of working with children. The most experience I've are my time of being a Certified Babysitter when I was younger (yes, I took a course and all), as well as a lifeguard at a summer camp for five years. Besides being in the company of the few friends that have children, I'm a novice and readily admit that I know nothing about raising a child.

After watching the above video, it got me thinking to when I was younger, and the chores/responsibilities my parents had me and my siblings do. We each had a responsibility. Mine was vacuuming. My sister's was dusting. I'm not too sure what my little brother's was because he was (is) the favorite child. Okay fine his was mowing the lawn. Once a week I was expected to vacuum all the rugs in the home, a chore that took me probably all of about a half hour to complete between upstairs and downstairs. I was slightly compensated by my parents with an allowance, but nothing crazy out of the ordinary. I was also expected to make my bed and keep my room neat.

But then there were other things I would help my parents do just naturally. Help my mom clear the table and do dishes after dinner. I'd empty the dishwasher in the morning as I was usually the first one downstairs. Grabbing bottles of soda or food that were in the outside refrigerator. When I started to drive I would run errands for them if they needed me to. I never gave much thought as this girl in the video obviously did, that my parents should stop being "lazy" and just do it all themselves. The way I saw it, I was just helping them out as any child would do. I was always greatful for whatever little allowance my parents gave me and never expected anything from them. These duties were a part of living in my parents home as they work all day and it's just a little I can do to help them out.

So at what point did children become so ungrateful? The girl in this video posts a lengthy paragraph of how terrible her parents are and how they need to stop being lazy and she won't be there for them when they need her at an older age. I was speechless as this man read that. I mean I get that children aren't always going to get along with their parents perfectly 24/7 (I'm surprised my father didn't murder me with some of the boys I dated). But from the sounds of it, this dad wasn't asking much of his daughter, just some chores around the house. When did it become okay for children to not have responsibility? Where did this sense of entitlement come from? Is this a new trend? Poor parenting? The wave of the future? (God I hope not)

I don't think that this dad was being outlandish when he posted this video. I don't know anything about raising a child in this day in age, as the internet was still dial up when I was younger and car phone's were only used to make calls. In my opinion, this man's daughter was being an ungrateful little brat in posting that Facebook status. Not to mention stupid. I'm sorry but your father works in IT and has already lectured you about those kind of postings in the past. Do you really think you can keep anything private on a COMPUTER from him? Child please.

Anyway, parents, for the most part (as I do realize there is such a thing as a bad parents), provide so much for their children. So does it come down to that while providing children with so much, parents aren't teaching their children to be thankful? Is it them just being lazy parents or are the children learning it from other sources? I was raised to be greatful for anything I have (not in a guilty way) but to realize there are so many people in the world who don't have the things I do. As this man so aptly stated, he's given his daughter a laptop, iPod and updated the software on her computer. Not to mention I'm assuming she's got a roof over her head, 3 square meals a day, and a loving father that does all of this for her. The way I saw my life was the same thing. My parents never made me feel guilted into helping them as they did sacrifice so much for me. Plus, chores taught me responsibility. I knew I had duties to complete and if they weren't I didn't my allowance. Which pretty much sounds like work, because if I don't complete what I need to do, I don't get paid.

But the best part of the video was by far when he (SPOILER ALERT) shot the laptop. When he pulled out the gun I legitimately yelled at my computer screen "oh no he's not". AND THEN HE DID. Over dramatic, yes. But I hope it teaches this brat a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment