Sunday, March 11, 2012

Driving Etiquette

I work in insurance which means I definitely over-analyze anything driving or homeowners related. Perks of the job I suppose (what do you mean you have no coverage?!) But honestly, the lack of driver attentiveness on the road is down right frightening. The amount of times I have to use my horn or avoid being  hit from other driver's inattention are outrageous. So let's chat for a minute about driving etiquette of some drivers I've observed over the past week/month/lifetime. It's time to get back to the basics people.

I hate when my new expensive sports car comes without turn signals. USE THEM PEOPLE! It helps to SIGNAL to the other driver where you are going. May be a surprise, but I can't read your mind and it's likely that other drivers can't either (except for Miss Cleo, is she even still around?) Push that lever up to go right and down to go left. It should be second nature to you by now. What's that? You gave up your New Years Resolution of the gym already? Make using your turn signal your new New Year's resolution.

You know what the passing lane is for? PASSING. I know, I'm just unveiling so much new information on here but come on people! (PA and NY drivers seem to have a difficult time with this). In New Jersey it's keep right pass left. Which means if you're in the LEFT lane, you better be going fast enough to pass the car in the right. Or at least traveling the speed limit.

Which brings me to speed limits. You know those white signs with the black writing that say "Speed Limit" on top and then a number below it? That's what your odometer (the little level that goes up when you push down on the gas pedal) should read. I'm not condoning speeding, but please be going at least what's posted. Even on Sundays.

And this goes right into cars that will slow down for cops. If you see a cop on the side of the road and your odometer matches the magic numbers on that sign, there's a good chance that unless you're doing something ELSE illegal, he/she's not going to be pulling you over. What is the obsession with slamming on the breaks once a cop is spotted? Like they haven't already tagged your car since you were doing 55 in a 54 and saw you switching lanes like a maniac. By the time you've seen the cop it's already too late, take it from someone who got a speeding ticket years ago (sorry mom and dad!)

Stop lights don't mean it's distraction time, it means you still need to pay attention. Green means go! Stop choosing the latest Ke$ha song from your iPod and stop texting your BFF about your ex you just ran into. Pay attention. I'm tired of honking my horn to get you moving. I've got places to go people.

Although we're all guilty of it, this texting while driving really disturbs me. I mean what is so important that it has to be answered right away? Or without a phone call. USE YOUR BLUE TOOTH headset. Driving is my favorite excuse for not answering my phone. "Sorry, my bluetooth wasn't picking up so I didn't hear it ringing" may or may not be the excuse I used on the way to my friend's surprise Bridal Shower when she spotted me at a stop light.

But by far parking lots by far have got to be my biggest driving frustration. What is it about any parking lot that makes everyone just forget how to be responsible drivers? My co-workers and I have an unspoken system while exiting our work lot. We let each other go by who's pulled out first, then go in the order that we've lined up. You wait no matter how long it may take if someone is making a left and you can very easily make a right. It's just courtesy to go in order. But there's this one woman who may or may not work for the downstairs tenants of our building who seems to not notice the line of cars to get out of the lot, bypasses us all and just makes her right hand turn, thus BLOCKING the view of the person trying to make the left. How Rude.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, so you were lying to me the day of the shower! Haha I still love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybeeeee....but desperate times call for desperate measures. I had your luggage in my trunk!

      Delete