Friday, January 4, 2013

Birthday

This year I'm in a total funk about my birthday. I'm 27. Seriously, when did I get that old? And how is it 2013 already? And why aren't there flying cars yet?! I digress.

How is it that 10 year have passed since I was looking into colleges and deciding what my career would be? Now here I am a college graduate, almost 5 years into my career, a homeowner, and wife. Yikes, all those milestones make me sound like an 'adult' now.

I used to hate my birthday. My reasoning: it is exactly a week after Christmas. That means wham, bam, thank you ma'am all my year's excitement over in a 2 week span. Anything 'big' I want has to wait for about a year. [Sidebar: I have been really lucky as my family/friends always saw it as two separate events and I never got "gifts" that counted towards both. And my husband continues to surprise and spoil me, much to the demise of his credit card.] I always felt like I had nothing to look forward to for myself for the rest of the year.

But my outlook changed thanks to my Aunt writing the most insightful thing to me in a card one year. She mentioned how amazing it is to have my birthday at the beginning of the year as it's a fresh start. What a notion (she is a pretty incredible woman if I do say so myself).

Which got me thinking how right she is about having a birthday right after New Years. That means I get a New Year not just figuratively but literally. Every year is a new beginning to start off right. I have that whole year to do whatever it is I set out to accomplish.

So I've changed my outlook on my birthday. Not so much the fact that I'm 27 (honestly, what the heck) but that I have all these goals I've set for myself. Mostly with personal fitness (woof the scale was a wake up call this morning), but also in bettering myself as a person. I have 12 more months to see what I can improve in many aspects of my life before I'm another year older.

So thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. And thanks to the readers that keep following my posts. You guys are amazing and I wish all of you a Happy 2013. Good luck in your goals and wishes you've set for yourself. I can't wait to see what this year has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment