Monday, February 4, 2013

Resolutions

I would tell you that all my posts won't be about my new puppy but that's a lie and you know it. For now though, a break.

I'm going to get real honest here. In January I along with every other person in America vowed to change my wicked ways and make my New Years Resolution be to get healthy. Not just lose weight, not just be 'skinny', but an overall lifestyle change to of smart, healthy, choices.

Now for those of you who know me, before you criticize me and are like 'but you look great' please realize something. I'm a 5'10" woman, which is taller then most women (and some men, sorry guys). So when I gain weight, I tend to gain it all over and it doesn't really look like I need to lose anything. But trust me, I can tell by the way my clothes are fitting and what the scale is groaning when I step on it.

A couple things really put my butt into gear. I stepped on the scale and couldn't believe the number staring back at me. I had surpassed even my heaviest weight that I was in college. It couldn't be true, I thought, but my tight pants were backing up the scale's number (son of a bitch, those two are always collaborating).

I'm going to let you in on a little secret  most of us girls. We like to buy what we call 'fat pants' for when we've eaten too much around the holidays or trying to lose weight, and we wear them as we're going through the weight loss process. Well it's pretty bad when your fat pants are now tight and uncomfortable on you.

The second thing that set me off on this journey was I went to donate blood after work as I do every so often. One of the screening processes is to get your blood pressure checked. The nurse that took mine looked at me and said, "Your blood pressure is high which is odd for someone your age, is that a normal reading for you?"

I balked. I have NEVER had a high pressure reading in my whole life. In fact all of my doctors have always told me I have great blood pressure and it's always on the low side. Now granted, the donation site was only two minutes down the road from work and I went there right after a particularly stressful day. But still, it was a slap in the face to me.

I was and am still on a mission. I downloaded the 'Lose It' app and to log my diet and exercise. I scoured Pinterest for healthy recipes and different treadmill/at home workouts for the mini gym we have downstairs. My crock pot became my new best friend and the Skinny Taste website is always  open on my desktop before I grocery shop.  I set goals for myself in 10 pound increments. I didn't want to get overwhelmed as I realize that weight loss is a process that takes time and won't happen overnight.

And I'm happy to report that in the month of January I've lost my first 10 pounds. I'm thrilled. I stared at the scale like this couldn't be right. It's a start to where I want to be and I'm taking it one pound at a time. Did I cheat? Absolutely. But I made myself accountable for it. That seems to be all the difference. An extra glass of wine? Logged it on the app. Had a donut at work for someone's birthday? Logged that as well.

Now with a puppy there's been a wrench in my schedule. I still need to rearrange my morning routine for how to care for the puppy and fit in my workout as I'm pushing on almost a week of no workouts. But like everything else as long as I'm dedicated to what I want to do, I'm sure I'll be to my second goal in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment