Sunday, August 18, 2013

Accident prone

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, but two weeks ago I had one hell of a 24 hour period. Cracking my tooth, falling and scraping myself up on my run, AND getting a nail in my tire/flat tire all within 24 hours has got to be some kind of new record for testing one's patience.

I have one lonely cavity metal filling in my mouth from ages ago. One. Years of braces and retainers have taught me to keep up with my dental situation because I do NOT want to repeat any of those scenarios again. My tooth crack isn't even a good story. You know how you feel like something is caught in your tooth and you run your tongue over it? Apparently I have the same super strength tongue as the Hulk because boop, off popped a piece of that cavity filled tooth. That was Monday night.

Leg modeling is not in my future.
Tuesday morning I was supposed to just go on a simple 2 mile run since I have lots of time limited time to train for this half marathon. It was a picture perfect morning; super cool for August and early enough that it wasn't too sunny. I ran my first mile at my race pace. And then about another quarter mile up I rolled over on my ankle, couldn't catch myself, fell, and scraped my knees. Luckily I was rounding my block so didn't have to hobble too far home. Now I'm 27 going on 5. Who scrapes their knees at this age?! I'm a hot mess.

I was truly FINE. I wore an ankle brace the next couple days just to minimize swelling and stabilize my ankle. My knees were the worst and even those were nothing that band-aids and neosporin couldn't cure.

That same day I was coming home from work and had to get ready for a dinner party as we were having a couple friends of ours over. I pull into my garage, get out of my car, and hear a hissing sound. Loud hissing like air coming out of the tire. I check my back tire and there's a huge nail sticking out of it. Great. Now I need to deal with my tire on top of getting my food ready for the guests showing up in a hour. Just fantastic.

But, as I said I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, so even though I *almost* had a mini melt down in my kitchen, here's the positive aspect of these three events:

1. By chipping my tooth I had to have the filling replaced. My dentist was able to see me that following day and I was given the choice to have it fixed with the tooth colored filling instead of the ugly metal, which I have been wanting to do for quite some time. Of course, I haven't gotten my co-pay yet so maybe this won't be all that great. We'll see.

2. Even though this isn't close to being scientifically true, apparently my body needed a break and I subconsciously hurt myself. I went right from my 65 mile Tour de Shore Training into Half Marathon Training. By twisting my ankle I was forced to take a break, even if it was only for 4 days. Thanks to wearing the brace I was able to go right back on my running schedule that following Sunday and have been going ever since. Giddy up, exactly 4 weeks from today is the race!

3. At least I discovered my flat tire in the evening, instead of the following morning when I had to be somewhere at a specific time. I have free roadside with my vehicle lease so I just called and they sent someone out to put on my spare for me leaving me able to entertain my guests. I was able to get the tire plugged at a local shop and didn't have to purchase a new one.

Everything turned out just fine in the end and they say bad things only happen in threes. So I'm all set for at least the next month...I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment